Thursday, April 5, 2012

Winnie the Pooh: Kind of a Jerk

You may have seen this floating around the Internet: 

"If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so I never have to live without you."

By all accounts it is adorable. That is so sweet. Undying love between friends.

This quote pops up a lot around Valentine’s Day. The Brits voted it the second most romantic quote of all time. Throughout my research (i.e. time spent on Pinterest and a quick Google search) I’ve noticed that many people will quote this, and follow it with something along the lines of “Winnie the Pooh sure was a smart bear.”

However, I’m not convinced. The sentiment is nice, sure, but it’s also incredibly mean. Pooh might as well be saying this:

"If you live to be 100, I hope I live to be 100 minus 1 day, so your last hours are filled with grief at my passing."

Hopefully, the person you say this to would reciprocate your feelings of love. If that’s the case, the person they loved so much just died. And since the other has just one more day left to live, he or she will never be able to go through the healing process that follows death and grief. That’s cruel, Pooh. (Unless, of course, the person doesn't reciprocate the feelings of love. In this case, the recipient of this sentiment will die happy, free of the stalker that had haunted his or her life for a century.)

A more accurate portrayal of love may be this:


If you live to be 100, I hope I also live to be 100, and that we die at the exact same time, so we can be together and stuff.

Although I realize that it is much less catchy.

1 comment:

  1. I have always felt exactly the same way about this heartless quote! I'm glad somebody else shares my sentiment.

    ReplyDelete